Bankrate.com seeks insurance editor
by Chris Roush
Bankrate.com seeks a seasoned personal finance reporter to cover insurance for its website.
The reporter must have experience writing for consumers, understand and follow the insurance industry and its products, and comprehend regulations on insurance of all types. The ideal candidate explains how insurance news and trends affect consumers.
The insurance beat includes topics such as home, life and auto insurance, plus health insurance, in particular the Affordable Care Act. The ideal candidate has excellent reporting and writing skills, has written for online publications, has blogged or knows how to be a successful blogger, and is familiar with SEO, social media and is comfortable speaking with other reporters for PR.
We expect the reporter to develop story ideas, as well as write assigned stories; respond quickly to events in the marketplace (again, understanding how that news affects consumers), have an established group of sources and experience with data-driven reporting projects.
We prefer someone who has written blog posts and tweets, and who has experience conceptualizing stories for the Web using multimedia. Comfort using Excel and WordPress is a plus.
- Follow insurance industry and cultivate relationships and sources .
- Identify and write consumer insurance content in articles and blog posts.
- Work with editorial team to identify new story ideas.
- Understand SEO value and employ best practices for SEO.
- Follow trends in social media as it relates to producing content.
- Work with editorial team to create interactive stories.
- Speak with other media outlets as an insurance spokesperson.
- Knowledgeable of insurance industry.
- 5-10 years’ experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with basic HTML.
- College degree, preferably in journalism or business.
Interview process will include an initial technical phone screen, followed by a very deep and strong technical in-person interview, which will span several hours and will cover topics such as: object oriented design and programming challenges, logic problem solving, white-board sessions to convey ideas and implementation concepts, code writing and analysis, and much more.
Please submit resumes and recent clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.