Bankrate.com seeks copy editor
by Chris Roush
Do you cringe when you come across grammatical errors? Do those who interchangeably use “your” and “you’re” make you just a little bit crazy? If so, you could be a great copy editor candidate for our website.
The award-winning editorial staff of Bankrate.com is seeking an experienced copy editor with a strong journalism background, extensive knowledge of AP style, impeccable grammar and proficient editing talents for an online site. Knowledge of HTML and SEO best practices are required. The ideal candidate must possess traditional copy editor skills, such as a keen eye for language, a proofreader’s attention to detail and the creativity to write clever headlines. Bankrate copy editors are the last check before any content is published to the site. This position is located in our North Palm Beach, Florida office.
This position requires:
- Copy editing and fact-checking of all daily content, including stories, newsletters, videos and blogs.
- Copy editing and overall checks of each channel home page daily.
- Creativity and striving to add color to headlines and teases appearing across the site.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to liaison for editorial across other departments.
- Working closely with editors and reporters to present content in a compelling style.
- Compiling and editing columns weekly for publication in newspapers.
- Managing the copy flow between editorial and production and back.
- Ensuring modules are ready for the homepage to promote content.
- Knowledge of financial products and pricing a plus.
- Must be able to work effectively and efficiently in a deadline driven environment.
- College Degree preferred.
- College degree, preferably in Journalism.
- Several years of experience as a copy editor.
- Knowledge of HTML and SEO best practices.
- Adept at learning new systems.
- Strong knowledge of AP style, and an excellent copy editor and fact checker.
- Understanding of personal finance issues.
- Experience with a CMS.
- Be a team player who is self-motivated and easily adaptable to change.
- Not afraid to ask questions and to look things up.
- Working understanding of PCs, Microsoft Office and Dreamweaver.
- Ability to laugh if the stress level gets high.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.